Error compiling with BasicAuth middleware

Hello, I am having an issue when I try to compile my program with the Basic Auth middleware. This is the code:

g := e.Group("/admin")
g.Use(middleware.Logger())
g.Use(middleware.BasicAuth(func(username, password string, c echo.Context) (error, bool) {
    //Check DB
    if username == "carl" && password == "12345" {
        return nil, true
    }
    return nil, false
}))

This is the error I get:

cannot use func literal (type func(string, string, echo.Context) (error, bool)) as type middleware.BasicAuthValidator in argument to middleware.BasicAuth

I am relatively new to Go and Echo so I’m not quite sure what this means as this handler does fit the definition of the middleware.BasicAuthValidator type. I am using go version go1.11.4 darwin/amd64 and the latest version of Echo (I installed it today). I know that there is a similar question that was asked, however, the chosen answer doesn’t make sense to me.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

My advice would be to start trusting the compiler :wink: If compiler says one thing and you’re thinking something else, it’s safe to bet that you (and I mean “you” generically, you, me, everyone) are wrong :slight_smile: The compiling errors are your friend.

In this case, if you carefully read the error and compare that against the expectation, you’d quickly identify the issue:

Error message: "cannot use func literal type…

func(string, string, echo.Context) (error, bool)

and the definition from https://github.com/labstack/echo/blob/master/middleware/basic_auth.go#L27:

func(string, string, echo.Context) (bool, error)

So, is the compiler right or wrong to give that error?

Hope it helps!
Alex

Also, FWIW, in general in Go, if a function/method returns an error, that parameter is the last one.